Make your Ubuntu Look better than a Mac. (Part 2 - Install Mac features on Ubuntu)

In my previous post, I explained how you can install a dock on your Ubuntu, hide the boring dash and how to change themes. In this post I'll show you how to install a spotlight and a better looking theme in Ubuntu.

In case you don't know, Spotlight is a system-wide desktop search feature of Apple's OS X and iOS operating systems. Spotlight is a selection-based search system, which creates an index of all items and files on the system. It is designed to allow the user to quickly locate a wide variety of items on the computer, including documents, pictures, music, applications, and System Preferences.



 

Indicator-Synapse Brings Spotlight-Like Search Bar to Linux. To install Synapse, run these commands in your terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:elementary-os/unstable-upstream
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:birdie-team/stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install indicator-synapse libkeybinder-3.0-0
 
 
This will install synapse to your system. Log out and log in back to see how it works. 


Stay tuned to see how to apply mac like icons and themes! Lots of Love! :)
 
  
 
 
Update: Check out the next parts of this tutorial



-Make your Ubuntu look better than a Mac (Part 3 - Install Mac Icons in Ubuntu)

-Add a sexy weather widget to your Ubuntu desktop!
 

SHARE ON:

Hi! I'm Siddhant Minocha, a Jaipur based hacker/developer. I spend most of my day coding things, trying to develop the next billion dollar idea. When I'm not over-analyzing random stuff and people, I hang out with friends (mostly entrepreneurs). I'm in my final year of graduation and till now I have started and exited 3 startups and developed a lot of websites and software for different companies. Follow me on twitter and other social networks to see what I keep doing. You can also hire me to design/develop your website, if you're worried about your website or app's security or any other tech related work. See ya! :D

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment