Speed up your Ubuntu System instantly. This little app will decreas app loading time by seconds.

What's up folks? I know Ubuntu is bullet fast but what if I say we can make it faaaaaster? Today, I discovered this little app knows as preload. It caches the binaries of the app you run the most so they start up faster. The sad part about this little adaptive readahead daemon is that its not available for Ubuntu 14.04.

When a user runs a program, the OS first loads its data into the ‘RAM’. And when that program gets terminated, the OS, rather than completely getting rid of it, moves the program and its data into another location on RAM, called the ‘page cache’. So if the user runs the app again the OS doesn't load the complete app instead it first checks the page cache if the app is available there. The ‘page cache’ is managed by the OS’s Kernel, and most operating systems (including GNU/Linux), don’t use ‘aggressive’ data prefectching techniques when managing the ‘page cache’. But if you’re a GNU/Linux user, then you can use tools like ‘preload’ for enabling aggressive data ‘prefetching’.




This app will be most useful if you're running on a larger RAM. After analysing the results, I noticed that Ubuntu took a couple of seconds more to boot up but it took really less time to open apps.


Do drop in your comments if this app helped you. 
Lots of love! :)

SHARE ON:

Hi! I'm Siddhant Minocha, a Jaipur based hacker/developer. I spend most of my day coding things, trying to develop the next billion dollar idea. When I'm not over-analyzing random stuff and people, I hang out with friends (mostly entrepreneurs). I'm in my final year of graduation and till now I have started and exited 3 startups and developed a lot of websites and software for different companies. Follow me on twitter and other social networks to see what I keep doing. You can also hire me to design/develop your website, if you're worried about your website or app's security or any other tech related work. See ya! :D

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment