Make your Ubuntu look better than a Mac. (Part 1)

 I've been using Ubuntu since a very long time now! I love the power that Ubuntu has to offer. If configured properly, Ubuntu is a real beast.
But beasts don't look beautiful. Ubuntu's default look has turned pretty amazing after they gave up Gnome and chose Unity. Unity is fast, easy to use and provides a modern approach to use your Ubuntu Apps but its boring. After a few months you'll want something new. Macs and Windows are working hard on improving their UI but we, the Ubuntu users, are still using a very boring and flat UI.
Let's see what we can do to improve our Experience without compromising with power.

This will be a three-post Series. In the first part of the post, we'll install a sexy dock and hide the boring dock.


First, we'll install a small Mac-Like dock in Ubuntu. Docks are very user friendly and provide handy access to tools we use often.

There are two popular docks: Cairo-Dock and Docky. We'll use docky because its lighter and better.

Docky is included in the official Ubuntu repositories starting in Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx). To install Docky on Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) or later you have to run a very simple command in your terminal:
This will Install Docky to your system. Docky has a lot of features and themes.

sudo apt-get install docky
 


Keep exploring and select the one which you like the most. Docky can be configured easily.

Now we'll hide the boring Unity Bar. To do this easily we'll install a small tool. To do this, run the following command in your terminal:

sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool

This will install the Unity Tweak Tool. Open the Unity Tweak tool.




Click on the first option that says "Launcher"
and change your settings like these:





You can also change your theme from Unity Tweak Tool.


I hope you enjoy your better looking Ubuntu! Here's what it looks on my system:



Please Note: I have used some more Tweaks that I will write about in the next post. Stay tuned! Lots of Love! :)


Update: Check out the next parts of this tutorial

-Make your Ubuntu Look better than a Mac. (Part 2 - Install Mac features on Ubuntu)

-Make your Ubuntu look better than a Mac (Part 3 - Install Mac Icons in Ubuntu)

-Add a sexy weather widget to your Ubuntu desktop!

SHARE ON:

Hi! I'm Siddhant Minocha, a Jaipur based hacker/developer. I spend most of my day coding things, trying to develop the next billion dollar idea. When I'm not over-analyzing random stuff and people, I hang out with friends (mostly entrepreneurs). I'm in my final year of graduation and till now I have started and exited 3 startups and developed a lot of websites and software for different companies. Follow me on twitter and other social networks to see what I keep doing. You can also hire me to design/develop your website, if you're worried about your website or app's security or any other tech related work. See ya! :D

    Blogger Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment